The Seafarer has many issues to contend with at sea while often working under difficult conditions and in between voyages where skills and education are required to be kept up-to-date as part of individual continuing professional development. Two key areas of awareness are the issues of crew fatigue and the role of human rights protections, applications and remedies for when respective safeguards fail, thereby resulting in dangerous working environments and crew abuses.
Issues for discussion
• Crew Fatigue: What is it and how does it affect the individual and the owner?
• Crew Fatigue: Crew safeguards and protections.
• Crew Fatigue: How do we reduce abuses and what are the consequences?
• Human Rights: What comprises the current maritime human rights landscape and do human rights apply at sea beyond coastal state control?
• Human Rights: Owner and Flag State responsibilities.
• Human Rights: Future trends.