Casualty data constantly refers to the loss of bulk carriers due to stability problems and other cargo related issues and similarly to incidents where crew members have lost their lives due to a lack of understanding connected with the carriage of various bulk cargoes or oxygen depletion in enclosed cargo spaces. This seminar will explore the problems associated with these issues and will highlight the legal implications.
Issues to be discussed:
• The IMO and the IMSBC Code
• Cargo problems and the P&I Club issues
• How does a good quality ship manager prepare and assist the crew?
• STCW – does it sufficiently impact on preparing crews for the carriage of specific cargoes?
• What happens at the examination stage for deck officer certificates?
• Is the training of crews for the carriage of dangerous and difficult bulk cargoes fit for purpose?