Dr Aleka Mandaraka-Sheppard
A practising Maritime Arbitrator (Dip.I.A.CIArb) and Mediator (accredited by Regent’s College London, ADR group, CIArb, and the International Centre for Peace Studies (conflict resolution). She is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb), member of the LMAA, the LCIA, and the Baltic Exchange.
- Graduated from Athens University (Law School), qualified as a lawyer, and then obtained her Masters in shipping law from University College London (UCL) and her Ph.D in enforcement of regulation and causes of conflict from King’s College London (KCL).
- Was trained in the practice of shipping law at Richards Butler (as it then was) and worked with insurance brokers and a P&I Club (1979-1981).
- Practised as a solicitor in shipping litigation and arbitration with Holman Fenwick & Willan until 1993.
- Served as Head of the Shipping Law Unit, UCL, (1993-2006) and as a Professor of Maritime law until 2011.
- Taught Maritime Law, Marine Insurance, and the law of Carriage of Goods by Sea to postgraduate students of the University of London colleges.
- Founded the London Shipping Law Centre (LSLC) of which she is the Chairman.
- Developed Risk Management education in shipping and delivered lectures in London and abroad.
- Authored: “Modern Maritime Law and Risk Management” (3rd edn. 2013) Informa law; Chapters in other books (in the subjects of Marine Insurance and of Shipbuilding); Has published many articles covering a variety of Maritime Law areas and jurisdictional issues.
- Speaks at conferences in London and abroad and promotes high quality in shipping and Dispute Resolution services through the seminars and debates of the London Shipping Law Centre.
Quadrant House, 10 Fleet Street, London EC4Y 1AU
T: +44(0)20 79363418 or +44 (0)20 87474796;
M: +44(0)7721 374360
E: email@example.com or asheppard@shippingLBC.com