Dr Aleka Mandaraka-Sheppard
A practising Maritime Arbitrator (Dip.I.A.CIArb) and Mediator (accredited by Regent’s College London, ADR group, CIArb, and the International Centre for Peace Studies (conflict resolution). She is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb), member of the LMAA, the LCIA, and the Baltic Exchange.
- Graduated from Athens University (Law School), qualified as a lawyer, and then obtained her Masters in shipping law from University College London (UCL) and her Ph.D in enforcement of regulation and causes of conflict from King’s College London (KCL).
- Was trained in the practice of shipping law at Richards Butler (as it then was) and worked with insurance brokers and a P&I Club (1979-1981).
- Practised as a solicitor in shipping litigation and arbitration with Holman Fenwick & Willan until 1993.
- Served as Head of the Shipping Law Unit, UCL, (1993-2006) and as a Professor of Maritime law until 2011.
- Taught Maritime Law, Marine Insurance, and the law of Carriage of Goods by Sea to postgraduate students of the University of London colleges.
- Founded the London Shipping Law Centre (LSLC) of which she is the Chairman.
- Developed Risk Management education in shipping and delivered lectures in London and abroad.
- Authored: “Modern Maritime Law and Risk Management” (3rd edn. 2013) Informa law; Chapters in other books (in the subjects of Marine Insurance and of Shipbuilding); Has published many articles covering a variety of Maritime Law areas and jurisdictional issues.
- Speaks at conferences in London and abroad and promotes high quality in shipping and Dispute Resolution services through the seminars and debates of the London Shipping Law Centre.