log in to access lecture notes
There are undoubtedly legal complexities and, as yet, there is no clear picture about the interrelation between Guardcon and RUF and the consequences of conflict between the various parties involved.
This event will explore the following issues/questions inter alios:
1. How should the authority to act against pirates be allocated between the Master and the armed guards’ leader?
2. What are the legal consequences arising from the guards’ failure to act in accordance with the RUF and the IMO Guidelines?
3. Do the RUF cover pre-emptive and responsive action?
4. What is the effect of the ‘knock for knock’ provision of the Guardcon?
5. What is the legal position of shipowners vis-a vis contracting as well as other parties with regard to losses incurred in the event of an unlawful act performed on board by the Guards?
6. What is the extent of exposure of P & I Clubs?
Practical examples of how piracy incidents were dealt with prior to the GUARDON will also be explored.
The Hon. Sir Anthony Colman
Thomas Miller & Co.,
6.00pm - 8.00pm
This event is accredited for 2 CPD points - SRA ref: DVS/LSLC - BSB ref: 1609