log in to access lecture notes
The London Shipping Law Centre welcomes members of the shipping community and their guests to attend this biennial celebratory Debate and Dinner. This debate will focus on the problems Masters face and suggest possible solutions.
The problems include:
• Erosion of the Master’s Authority
• Increase of the Master’s responsibility
• The Master as a legal ‘hostage’
• The powerful position of charterers
• The global vulnerability of the Master
• External interference
• Bullying and harassment by authorities in the port
• The demands of modern technology
Suggested solutions include the need to support the Master; the need to reinforce his authority – or reduce the liabilities; and the need to consider carefully, the consequences of maintaining the status quo by doing nothing.
A pre-Debate Drinks Reception and a post-Debate three course Dinner will also form part of the evenings’ activities.
The Rt. Hon. The Lord Clarke of Stone-cum-Ebony
Michael G. Chalos, K&L Gates (New York)
Michael Kelleher, West of England P & I Club
Jeffrey G Lantz, US Coast Guard
Faz Peermohamed, Ince & Co
Capt. Kuba Szymanski, Secretary General of Inter-Manager
5.30pm - 11.00pm
1.5 CPD points